Child custody lawyers

Where do you even start?  First thing to do before reaching out to the Courts and attorneys is to figure out if Florida has jurisdiction over your child custody case.  In 1997 most states and Florida adopoted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), which attempts to foster uniformity among state laws governing jurisdiction over child custody determinations.  According to UCCJEA,  a state court has jurisdiction to make an initial child custody determination if it is the home state of the child on the date of commencement of the proceeding, or if it was the home state of the child within six months before commencement and the child is absent from the state but a parent or person acting as a parent continues to live in the state.   Keep in mind that the best interest of the child is not always taken into account when trying to determine the jurisdiction of the Court.

The best interest of the child.  Yes, the Courts will look at the best interest of the child when considering child custody.  You should focus on just that, and not what the parents do to each other especially on trivial matters.  Hone in on why one home is better and will be better for the child and come up with the reasons why without telling the Court the other parent is a bad parent because they cheated on you, or was always out, etc. The focus is in why the child will be better at one home.  In most cases, the Court may determine that shared parenting is in the best interest of the child.  The greater the share of parenting, the better the interest of the child.

What does time sharing mean?  It means the parents come together and adapt a child custody plan that that keeps the child nurtured between both parents.  It also means that when you calculate child support, the days you dont have your child may cause a higher dollar amount in child support.  We can help you calculate that and determine what the real costs of child support will be for each parent.  Call us today

Have a unique case?  We can offer you a free in person or on phone consultation.  Call us today at 786.454.2411.